Posted On: November 27, 2018
Station/Company: KGW TEGNA
Location: Portland, Oregon
Hours: Full Time
KGW 8, a ratings leader in the Portland, Oregon market, is seeking a Weather Reporter/Multi-Skilled Journalist (MSJ) to join our award-winning team. We are looking for great storytellers who will excel in this digital age of journalism. We want journalists who can create unique and shareable stories for all platforms through memorable writing, photography and editing. Community involvement is required including frequent talent appearances. Ability to work weekends and early mornings a must.
• Prepare and present accurate weather forecasts for weekend newscasts
• Interact live with fans and the audience on multiple platforms, especially during severe or inconvenient weather
• Track and warn viewers of severe weather during continuous coverage
• Develop story sources to bring unique and community-based pitches to editorial discussions.
• Write, shoot and edit content for on-air broadcasting, digital posting and social sharing.
• Write in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner.
• Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories.
• Develop original content through social listening and independent sources.
• Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility.
• Operate news gathering vehicle to and from various locations.
• Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
• Write for the web and various social media platforms, including attaching images and streaming video.
• Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories.
• Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.
• BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
• 2-5 years of experience preferred
• Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
• Understanding of the tenants of professional journalism
• A portfolio with examples of strong breaking news reporting
• Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
• Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook
• Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics, a plus
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
To be considered a candidate for an opening at KGW you must complete the online application on the job page found on: www.kgw.com/about and attach your resume and cover letter. Paper resumes or any electronic information received that do not come through the online application process will not be considered part of the applicant pool.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. With 47 television stations and two radio stations in 39 markets, TEGNA delivers relevant content and information to consumers across platforms. It is the largest owner of top 4 affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults on-air and approximately 35 million across its digital platforms. TEGNA has been consistently honored with the industry’s top awards, including Edward R. Murrow, George Polk, Alfred I. DuPont and Emmy Awards. TEGNA delivers results for advertisers through unparalleled and innovative solutions including OTT local advertising network Premion, centralized marketing resource Hatch, and G/O Digital, a one-stop shop for local businesses to connect with consumers through digital marketing. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.
Job posted by an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Contact Email: email@example.com
Expiration: December 27, 2018